Fieldbus - The Backbone of the New Generation of Machines
Fieldbus technology supports a significant reduction in costs and complexity by replacing traditional wired systems with a single bus cable. This makes it a crucial factor in achieving higher production flexibility and operational efficiency. With the introduction of IP67-rated modular I/O systems, which eliminate the need for extensive cabinets, Fieldbus technology cements its position as a key player in the realization of advanced and economical automation.
Within this intelligent network, there are several advantages that stand out distinctly in the modern factory setting:
1. Streamlined Communication: Fieldbus systems are the lifelines enabling efficient communication over bus cables, significantly reducing the need for extensive cable bundles. This not only saves on the costs of the cables themselves but also the associated expenses of labeling and installation. With a simple and efficient bus cable structure, leaner and more cost-effective operation is achieved.
2. IP67 Modular Decentralized IO: The IP67 rating indicates a high degree of protection against dust and water, allowing these modules to be deployed directly in harsh industrial environments without additional cabinets. This saves significant expenses and space that would otherwise go towards building and maintaining cabinets.
3. Enhanced Data Access: With advanced technologies like IO-Link, users can gain insights into the status of sensors and devices, paving the way for predictive maintenance and reduced downtime. This depth of data access enables more nuanced control over production processes.
4. Reduced Installation Errors: The use of industrial M12 connectors ensures secure and error-free installations. These connectors are coded and secured, ensuring that even unauthorized personnel can assemble complex connections without the risk of incorrect configuration.
5. Shorter Training Time: The intuitive design of Fieldbus systems and the simplicity of M12 connections mean that training new employees becomes much faster. This translates into savings in both time and money, accelerating the introduction process.
6. Comprehensive Module Options: The wide range of IP67 modules offers endless possibilities for customization and scalability. An example of such versatility is the Profisafe hybrid module, which includes safety inputs, standard IOs, and IO-Link master ports, capable of effortlessly handling complex configurations.
7. Quick and Easy Assembly: Time is essential in any industry, and Fieldbus technology excels with its ability to facilitate quick and straightforward assembly processes. This efficiency is crucial for keeping projects on track and within budget.
8. Scalability as Needed: The modular nature of Fieldbus systems means that scaling up in response to increased order volume is as simple as ordering more components. This eliminates the need for producing more cabinets, further driving down costs.
9. Multi-Protocol Support: Fieldbus systems offer multi-protocol capabilities, allowing IO modules to auto-detect the communication protocol. This feature means that only the PLCs need to be changed if there is a shift in protocol requirements, simplifying system upgrades.
10. Programming on Module: Advanced IO modules come with the ability to directly program functions on them, known as Field Logic Controllers (FLC). This reduces the need for additional controllers and streamlines the automation process. For example, the module can run a simple process further or shut it down if the overarching system fails. Programming is a matter of imagination for application.
11. Efficiency with BEEP: BEEP (Brownfield Enhanced Ethernet Protocol) allows users to save on nodes by connecting multiple devices in a linear fashion without losing functionality or control.
12. Comprehensive Emergency Stop Networks: With ISD (In series Diagnostics), it is possible to create systems with >2000 emergency stops to a single safety PLC and have a full overview of each emergency stop's location and status, improving safety and response times.
13. Port-based IP Addressing: The use of IP67 switches with port-based IP addressing and a gigabit high-speed backbone ensures that network management is robust and efficient, meeting the demands of modern high-speed data transmission.
Fieldbus technology has established itself as the backbone of modern automation, offering immense potential. For those considering the next generation of machines, the benefits of integrating Fieldbus systems are clear and compelling. It is not just a step towards modernization but a leap into a future of streamlined, efficient, and intelligent automation.
At Følsgaard, we constantly work with the latest technologies in automation. We have the expertise you need to achieve optimal benefits from the implementation of the right solution.
If you are interested in learning more about Fieldbus technology in relation to your specific setup, please contact Søren Madsen, Head of Automation, at tel. +45 87 88 77 06 or email@example.com.